Tuesday 7 February 2012

Fathom: The Beginning

Without going into great detail about the ins and outs of the game (mostly because I haven't determined them yet), I am going to cover off on some very general concepts that I am working towards.

Firstly, Fathom is a 2-D side scrolling sandbox game with a twist. Spaceflight. Beginning on an Earth-like planet, your character will be charged with executing missions for a large space-mining firm. While this realistically will be a glorified tutorial, it will give the player the necessary currency (Basic Economy) to buy their first space ship and take off to strange new worlds - although chances are, it will be a rust bucket and won't get the player very far... Besides, what fun would a game be if there weren't some kind of logical, materialistic progression?

All of the planets, solar systems, asteroid belts, comets, and other celestial entities will be procedural when possible. This means that they will be different every time you play the game! While that isn't necessarily overly exciting for a single player campaign, I am hoping that it will add some variety to the multiplayer side of things.

Additionally, the terrain is (at this point) completely destructible! At some point I would like to toy with the idea of planetary raids,but that is in the distant future.

I could go on and on with details about my plans, but how about I just throw up an introductory screenshot and call it a night? Expect more tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment